Although there are a lot of funding possiblities available, many of these are available only to academic students and staff/ scholars. This post shows some funding scholarships, fellowships, prizes, etc that do not exclude independent scholars. Some of these opportunities are repeated so check them out even if it looks out of date here.
- Centre Culturel Irlandais, Paris, France: Fellowship bursaries to encourage research on its Old Library and Historical Archives collections, at http://www.centreculturelirlandais.com/en/libraries/bourse-detude. Closing date: Jan 11, 2016
- Chevening Scholarships and Fellowships at http://www.chevening.org/. These apply to those both studying for degrees or continuing their research in the UK. There are ten different programme within the Fellowships.
- ISRF Independent Scholar Fellowship Competition (ISF3): “Independent Social Research Foundation wishes to support independent-minded researchers to do interdisciplinary work which is unlikely to be funded by existing funding bodies” at http://isrf.org/funding-opportunities/grant-competitions/isf3/
- Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study Harvard University: various grants, fellowships and prizes at the Schlesinger Library: https://www.radcliffe.harvard.edu/schlesinger-library/grants
- UCC College of Arts Celtic Studies and Social Sciences Excellence Scholarship: available for applicants with a first-class primary or secondary degree who wish to study for a master’s or doctorate at University College Cork, Ireland. This is available (2017) for graduates of all ages – even if you’ve graduated 30 years ago, I got one! Information at https://www.ucc.ie/en/cacsss/grads/scholarships_and_funding/pro_students/, but also search on Google or similar as the page might have moved. Have a look at this page for other scholarships too.
- Jobs Desk, Museum Studies Department, University of Leicester, UK: advertises full-time, part-time, contract, fellowships and volunteer positions in heritage-related fields: https://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/museumstudies/JobsDesk/JobsDesk.
Also, look at pages such as the National Coalition of Independent Scholars (USA), Canadian Academy of Independent Scholars, Independent Social Research Foundation, or search online for other organisations around the world. Mention of any website does not imply an endorsement or approval of any sort. Users of this website click on hypertext links at their own risk. No responsibility is taken for the content of other websites.